Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Llanganates Mountains!




This past weekend I went on I hike with three other worldteachers and two Ecuadorian friends (who happen to be tour guides) to the Llanganates mountains. It is said to be where ancient Incan gold is still buried, hidden from the Spanish invaders. We did not find any gold, however we did find a lot of cows and interesting high elevation vegetation. The views of the mountains were absolutely spectacular. I had been rainy the whole week before (and it continues to be rainy this week) but this weekend we got lucky. It was cloudy, but not rainy. Juan says that if the group of explorers are good people and they get along, the mountains will treat them well. He said that whenever he takes a tourist group who bickers with each other, the weather does not cooperate. I kind of like the theory. Anyway, we got to the base of the mountains by taking a bus from Ambato to Pillaro and then hopping in the back of a pick up truck that was headed in the same direction we were. (one of my pictures is of me and my Ecudorian friends in the back of the truck.) Once we got to the national park we hiked for 6 hours (1.5 hours of which was a grueling uphill march). At about 4pm, we finally made it to the refuge where we would be spending the night. We made spaghetti and played a card game called cuarenta with the park rangers who live at the refuge. It was so much fun just to chat with them, learn about what they do in the national park.. and of course talk some shit about playing cards. We went to bed early from pure exhaustion. Hiking in altitude is hard! It was VERY cold up in the mountains at night, but we were snuggly warm in our multiple layers and multiple blankets. The next morning, we woke up at about 8 and looked out with window. We were clearly above the clouds. The valley below us looked like a bowl of whipped cream. And it was absolutely silent, a sound I rarely hear in Ambato where there is always either city sounds or roosters. This past weekend's trip was so refreshing. It was good to be reminded of how beautiful this country is. So I thought I should share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment