Last night, my host uncle, Freddy, got married! He's one of my host mom's 7 siblings who lives in our neighborhood. The ceremony was at a church on the other side of town and party was in the reception hall that is the first floor of our house. The flower arrangements were absolutely gorgeous. White roses with blue daisies. On every table, there was a bottle of whiskey with a little foam decoration depicting a bride and a groom, a pretty canister of cigarettes and a decorated lighter for the guests to enjoy. Something that was last seen in the United States in maybe 1953. Another thing they did that was different was "raffle" off the bride's garter in addition to her boquet to the single ladies at the party. This lucky girl gets to have the garter placed on her by the a friend of the groom's and will supposedly get married the next year. Of course, that lucky girl was me. I had to stand on a chair in the middle of the room while some man put a garter on my thigh. It was mildly embarrassing but my host mom thought it was hysterical. Now she's all excited because she thinks I'm getting married soon.
Other than that minor incident, the party was a lot of fun. There was a lot of merengue and bachata dancing. We were not served dinner until 12:45. I went to bed shortly after that, but I'm pretty sure the party continued until 3AM.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment