Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crawling

My 14 year old host sister has not been feeling well lately. On Easter she fainted once in church and then again later that afternoon. She's been pale lately and she hasn't had much energy. My host mom was worried so she took her to the doctor to get urine tests, blood tests etc. About a week later, when the doctor finally got around to reviewing her tests, he couldn't find anything definitive. He though she might have some form of salmonella, so he gave her some pills to take, but they haven't been helping. This morning at breakfast, my host mom was expressing her concern over her daughter. She told me that she has a friend who's teenage daughter had the same symptoms. What cured her daughter was crawling for 15 minutes a day. Apparently, if you don't let your children crawl when they're young, they have problems like this in adolescence. My host mom says, "It's true! I never let my children crawl. I always held them until they could walk because I didn't want them crawling on the dirty floor and then putting their hands in their mouths. I'm going to make Michelle (her daughter) crawl for 15 minutes a day. It couldn't hurt, right?" I told her, no it couldn't hurt... It could just embarrass her that's all.

If anyone thinks that there is any scientific truth to this please let me know so that I will stop thinking that my host mom has actually lost her mind.

ps, Michelle refuses to crawl, much to my host mom's unhappiness. and the doctor thinks it's actually just stress because she's not doing well in school. troublesome teenagers...

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah...that is totally Ecuadorian! We heard so many wonderful "bubbiemeisters" like that when we were in Ecuador! Once Max had a really infected knee from scrapping it when we were tubing down a river and then swimming in a pool with hot spring water with about 500 people in it. Anyhow, after his knee was really nasty we went to the doctor and he was given Tylenol, an anti-viral (for bacteria) but the best part the doctor told him not to eat pork because if the pig had an infection, Max would get a worse infection. PS The crawling thing is absolutely not true!

    ReplyDelete