Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My first baptism!

This weekend, I went to Guaranda to visit my friend Jenny. We lit chanukah candles together and it was really nice. After lighting chanukah candles, for a little juxtaposition, we went to a baptism! Her host parents are the new godparents of a beautiful baby girl. The ceremony was held in the big cathedral in town, and it was really nice. They sprinkled water on about 5 babies heads and put oil on their foreheads in the shape of the cross. Then the pastor talked for a while about being good parents and how to treat your children so that they don't run away from you or the lord. I tuned out most of it, not gonna lie. It's a lot easier to do when he's speaking in Spanish. Anyway, after the ceremony came the party. We went to a reception hall that was completely empty except for the chairs lining the walls. When the DJ played merengue or banda (national music) everyone would get up and dance, including Jenny's 84 year old host grandfather who could outdance anyone at the party. When the DJ slowed the music down, everyone would sit and someone would come around with a plate of cheese cubes stuck with toothpicks, (they didnt actually serve dinner until midnight....) and someone else would come with one glass and a bottle of whiskey. They would go around the room and pour a shot for each guest. Now, let me clarify that in this culture it is rude to refuse a drink. If someone offers you a drink it is with love and if you refuse the drink it is as if you are refusing their hospitality. Well, I thought I was pretty in control. And by the end of the night, I had drank but I refused way more than I accepted (in the politest way possible... like pretending to drink or passing it off to someone else) But it was not enough. Although I have gone to bed way more drunk in my life (right, sideshow?) I have never woken up so hung over in my life. I puked at 9, 2, and 4:30 pm the next day!! I don't know if it was the fact that I hadn't eaten, or the food that I finally ate at midnight or the whiskey or the mixture of whiskey and pajaro azul (I had ONE shot of this seriously strong aguardiente...) but I was not ok the next day. The last bus. back to Ambato was at 5 pm, and I missed it. I slept over one more night at Jenny's and came home on monday. I promise I will never ever drink whiskey or pajaro azul ever again. ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment