




Yesterday was the first real rainy day I've had since I've been in Ecuador. While all of you guys are shoveling your driveways, I'm complaining about a little rain. Well it was rather inconvenient because I was supposed to take my morning class to Banyos that day. I had made a really fun scavenger hunt for my students that involved interviewing English speaking tourists and trading a mango for something more exciting (sound familiar, Gadna?). Anyway, we almost canceled it, but then miraculously in the afternoon it stopped raining. My students were able to complete their scavenger hunt and they told me that they had a lot of fun. After the scavenger hunt, we had dinner all together. Here in Ecuador, there must be some "palabras" (a few words) before starting a meal with a lot of people, so I told my students how happy I was to have them not only as students but as friends. and it's true. This class is mostly university students and they're awesome. We have a lot of fun together. After our dinner we went to bar for a few cervezas. I happened to have a dreidle in my bag (thanks Mrs. Seneor!) and I taught my students how to play dreidle! I explained to them what each letter stood for and why we play dreidle on chanukkah, but they were much more interested in gambling pennies. We stayed in Banyos dancing and drinking until about 9:30. As we piled into the mini bus to head back to Ambato, one of my students pulled out the lyrics to Jingle Bell Rock. I had taught them this song in class. If they're late, they have to sing it in front of the class. So my tipsy Ecuadorian students sang the Jingle Bell Rock on the way home. I had not laughed so hard in a long time. Well, at least I know they learned something...
I was finally able to put up some pictures! enjoy!
picture 1: my makeshift menorah that I lit every night!
picture 2: My and some of my students in Banyos
picture 3: a view of Chimborazo volcano from the road to Guaranda
picture 4: Monica, Alexandra, and me. Alexandra was dancing in Banyo's independence parade with her high school. Check out that outfit!!!! I want one.
picture 5: Me, Emily, Lauren, Brendan, Kat and Peter. All the Ambato volunteers at my house for Thanksgiving dinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment