the previous post contains pictures!! so exciting!
the first one is a shot of the market on sat. morning in Riobamba. They sell fruit in baskets like that, and there were just so many colors, I had to take a picture.
the second one is me and my friends at a bar at the Ecuador-Uruguay futbol game which we lost. but don´t we look snazzy in our jerseys?
the third pic is of me about to eat cuy (whole fried guinnea pig!). my host sisters thougt it was weird that we keep them as pets in the us. they thought it would be hilarious if i gave him a kiss. so i did.
and finally, the last one is a picture of the view of ambato from my room. the volcano tungurahua is usually covered in clouds. it´s just to the right of the palm tree and too the left of that big hill that´s not covered in clouds. enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Jess, you are making me soooooo incredibly homesick for my second home! I loved your description of the marketplace in Riobamba. Although I never got there, I spent lots of time at the market in Sangolqui and it sounds so much the same. They were kings of hornada, whole roasted pigs, leather thick skin; so thick that they would wackthe pieces off with a knife and I would be afraid teeth would break when i watched people eat it. Juan Carlo's aunt was the most famous horanado roaster of them all, and I was fortunate enough to tour her ovens and operation. Truely remarkable. Sounds as if you are meeting some excellant people, as Ecuadorians are...warm, wonderful, and yes, so dedicated to their families. I have to admitt. I did eventually eat some rather sinful delights in the market place. I just closed my eyes and tasted.I tried to ignore the fact that the plastic plate and fork was just dunked in soapy water and wiped off on a dirty apron before my plates was heaped with yummy fried potatoes, veggies, and G-d only knows what else. OK, I did stop short at cuey.And when the glasses of beer or bottles were passed from person to person, I just took my gulp, and tried to think...Todos somos familia (no germs here!). Te amo. Melanie
ReplyDelete