The other day, my students were working in groups to write a story. One group called me over and pointed their paper asking if this is how to say the word "abrasar" in English. The word that should have been on the paper was hugged but I looked down and saw "embosomed." hahahah I have no idea what dictionary gave them the word embosomed, but I could not stop laughing. So I corrected them, and told them the word they should used is hugged. I continued to float around the room and when I came back to this same group, I looked at their paper and saw that the student had misheard me and wrote the word "hung." I then explained to them what the word hung means (by miming wrapping a rope around my neck) and showed them how to spell the word hug.
That night there was a huge party at on of the big discotheques in town. I went for a while with my host sister and ran into half my students from that class. I was amazed at how many of them showed up to class the next day. I overheard one student (who happened to have been in the aforementioned group)saying that he was chuchaqui (hung over) So I told him how to say that in English. He said, "hung? you mean like the word we learned yesterday?" as he mimed wrapping a rope around his neck. and I had to say, yes actually. But then it made me think about the connection between the two words. English is so complicated. HUNG means one thing, and HUNG OVER means a completely different thing and I guess they're sort of related in the sense that they both feel like death, but that's pretty abstract. I'm so glad I grew up speaking English, I would not want to learn it as a second language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment